Riding Program Policies
Halleck Creek Ranch is a community-based organization. Generous support from individual donors, Bay Area foundations, local groups, businesses, and dedicated volunteers allows Halleck Creek Ranch to charge a fraction of the true lesson cost. In addition to tuition for lessons, each participant will need to assist with fundraising activities in order to keep the lessons affordable for all.
- Sign-ups for a session begin 2 weeks prior to the first day of that session.
- Riders may attend a single session, skip a session, or attend multiple sessions throughout the year.
- Riders may split a session with another rider at HCR staff discretion.
Registration for a Riding Session
- Each rider must have all necessary paperwork complete and turned in to HCR, paid enrollment fee, and gotten fingerprints cleared by the 4H office if necessary.
- Registration will continue until all lesson times within a session are full.
- Unless an agreement has been worked out with the Executive Director in advance, full payment is required to complete a reservation for any session. If full payment has not been received one week prior to the start of lessons for that session, the reservation will be cancelled, and another rider allowed to book that session time.
- Full payment is due at registration, unless arrangements have been made in advance with the Executive Director.
- Tuition Schedule:
* Weekdays: $225 for a 9-week session, $200 for a 8-week session.
* Saturdays: $360 for 9-week session, $320 for a 8-week session
- Payment can be made online by credit card or Paypal, or at the ranch by cash or check.
- Halleck Creek Ranch strives to make its programs affordable to all riders. If financial needs arise for any rider, there are additional scholarships available. Please discuss any scholarship needs with HCR staff.
Preparing for a Lesson
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled riding time to provide time to find a helmet, put on boots, or use the restroom. Students arriving late may not be able to ride.
- Helmets are required. Halleck Creek Ranch has helmets available for lessons, but encourages riders to purchase their own helmet for comfort.
- Each rider must wear appropriate riding apparel. Please wear long pants, and shoes that completely cover the foot and enclose the toe. A boot with a 1-inch heel is ideal.
- A pro-rated credit will be made if a rider has a medical emergency that prohibits him/her from completing a riding session. Credits will be refunded if they are not used in 6 months, or upon unenrolling in the program.
- A credit will be given for a single lesson due to illness, a medical appointment, or similar emergency, or at HCR staff discretion. Riders canceling for other reasons are not eligible for a credit.
- Halleck Creek Ranch reserves the right to cancel a lesson at any time for safety reasons. If lessons are cancelled for the day, a message will be left on our voicemail, or staff will attempt to contact you. A credit will be issued if lessons are cancelled.
- Drop-in lessons are available as the riding schedule allows, at the posted lesson rate.
- Drop-in lessons could be in addition to, or in lieu of, a regularly scheduled lesson.
- Please ask to be on our drop-in list if you are interested in riding on an on-call basis.
Halleck Creek Ranch offers several special events throughout the year. When a special event lands on your regular riding lesson day, you will be able to participate at no extra charge; however, a credit will not be given if you do not wish to attend the event. If you would like to participate in a special event on a day that is not your scheduled riding day, there may be a drop-in fee.
- Lesson activities on hot or wet weather days will focus on arena work, and will not include a trail ride.
- On days when the weather makes it unsafe to ride, HCR staff will cancel lessons. If lessons are cancelled, a message will be left on our voicemail, or staff will attempt to contact you. A credit will be issued for lessons cancelled due to weather.